June 14 is WORLD BLOOD DONOR DAY. Here is what you need to know;
1. It takes about 30 minutes to complete the blood donation process.
2. Persons in good health can donate blood every 12 weeks (3 weeks) without posing any risks to their lives.
3. To be a blood donor , you should be between 16 and 65 years old and weight at least 45kg.
4. Prospective blood donors first have to pass a brief medical examination before they can be allowed to donate. Pre-donation counseling is given to every prospective donor to inform them about the tests to be done on their blood and the need to discuss test results with ZNBTS donor counselor.
5. Blood donation could either be arranged through an appointment at a place of work, school or by going to any Provincial Blood Transfusion Centre.
6. The tools used for blood collection are sterile and disposable and each kit is used only once, for one donor and thereafter disposed off safely. therefore giving blood does not put a donor at risk of getting any infection such as HIV, Hepatitis or syphylis.
-Information courtesy of the Zambia National Blood Transfusion Service